Dental sealants are plastic coatings applied to chewing surfaces of molar teeth to prevent their decay. They are made of a tooth-colored plastic substance and protect against acids and bacteria that cause caries. If you want to know more about dental sealants, Smile in Style Diem Do, DDS specializing in dental sealants procedure in Marrero, Louisiana, prepared some facts you should know.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants have the following benefits:
- It is an effective shield against decay and plaque
- They add support to the oral care routine
- They last long (between 5 and 10 years)
- They look natural
Are Dental Sealants for Children Only?
Usually, dental sealants are applied to children’s teeth because they need special protection against tooth decay. However, adults can also benefit from sealants because there is always the risk of developing cavities.
What Can You Eat with Dental Sealants?
You can eat whatever you like except chewy, sticky, and hard food because it can chip or break your sealants. Avoiding these foods can help your sealants last longer. Moreover, in general, it is better for your oral health to avoid these foods.
How Are Sealants Applied?
The method of applying sealants is quick and painless. It takes only a few minutes to apply each sealant. Here are the steps of this process:
- The teeth need to be thoroughly cleaned first.
- The teeth need to stay dry. Dentists usually use cotton or any other absorbent material to keep them dry.
- To help the sealant bond to the teeth, a dentist applies an acid solution to the chewing surfaces.
- After the acid solution is applied, the teeth are rinsed and dried.
- Sealant is placed on the teeth and bonded to the teeth with the help of a special intense white light.
Smile in Style, Diem Do, DDS in Marrero Louisiana – Protect Your Teeth with The Help Of High-quality Dental Sealants
If you live in Marrero, LA, or any other nearby town, and you are searching “dental sealants near me,” feel free to contact Drs. Diem Do and Tami Nguyen, for a professional dental experience. We specialize in different types of dental treatments, including dental sealants as well. If you have any questions or want to schedule an appointment, please contact our practice at (504) 340-9400.
Share this article