Periodontal disease is a chronic inflammation of the tissues and bones that support our teeth. It is usually caused by the accumulation of bacteria and plaque in the mouth. Periodontal disease is a severe dental condition that can lead to serious health consequences, including tooth loss. For those looking for a gum professional in and around Marrero, Louisiana, and who want to know more about this condition, the dental practice Smile In Style, Diem Do DDS, located in Marrero, Louisiana, can help.
What Happens If You Do Not Treat Gum Disease?
If this condition remains untreated, it can cause more severe health issues, including the following:
- More serious oral problems. If individuals do not treat periodontal disease, they may become more vulnerable to the conditions requiring oral surgery and tooth decay.
- Lost teeth. This disease causes gums to recede. As a result, teeth become loose and can fall out. The worst thing is that the damage to the gums is often irreversible.
- Heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, people with poor oral health, including inflamed gums, are more prone to heart diseases. The results of one of the studies also showed that periodontal disease increases the risk for heart attack by 49%.
- Asthma and pneumonia. These and other respiratory diseases are associated with gum disease. According to the American Thoracic Society, chronic infection and inflammation in the gums make the immune systems stay on high alert, contributing to body-wide inflammation and affecting different organs, including lungs.
- Alzheimer’s disease. It is a common neurodegenerative disease in the United States that affects over 5 million people every year. It is also said that gum disease is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
Smile In Style, Diem Do DDS in Marrero, Louisiana – Effective Treatment of Periodontal Disease for You
If you think you may have gum inflammation, you live in Marrero, Louisiana, and you want to see a gum specialist, Dr. Diem Do, and the team at Smile In Style, Diem Do DDS is just what you need. We specialize in periodontal disease treatment and improving the oral health of our patients. The mission of our dental practice and the team is to bring your mouth back to its full function. If you need more information or are ready to schedule your first appointment, please call us at: (504) 340-9400.
Share this article